Saturday, December 30, 2023

singing bowl wisdom




I gifted my son a singing bowl for one of his Christmas presents this year. He can get revved up sometimes (I mean, don't we all?), and I was looking for new ways to help him reset. While it has been nothing less than adorable seeing him mesmerized as he creates sounds through the house, I had no idea how this small treasure would resonate with me so deeply, as well (no pun intended). 

My main experience with Tibetan singing bowls in the past has been when I've been practicing yoga or listening to a meditation. While the sounds were calming, I never really thought too much more about it, and certainly had very little experience with the concept of sound healing. As I have been working with my son to help him play his singing bowl, I've learned a few things along the way:

Be firm, but gentle - don't cling to the mallet too hard, willing the sound to carry

Take it slow - don't rush it as you swirl the mallet around the bowl

Let it in - let the sound envelop you and give you what you need

Try a different angle - if the sound isn't quite what you expected, angle the mallet differently and see what results

Let it build - sometimes the most powerful tones result when you just run the mallet around the bowl without striking


Balancing a steadfast approach with a little bit of give.
Fighting the inertia to rush through things.
Keeping an open mind and heart to fully embrace the experience.
Allowing yourself to be nimble with new approaches.
Luxuriating in a powerful (r)evolutionary process.

Friends, my intentions for 2024 have just fallen into my lap!

Resolutions may come and go - often, they are overly lofty or detailed, and easily forgotten. Instead, some people use certain visuals or mantras to ground them in what is important and true in life.  Similarly, setting intentions, and grounding them into a concept that is easily accessible, can be a powerful ritual. As a new year is upon us, I am inspired to channel this singing bowl wisdom into my daily life, and wish you all to find or hold onto that something that anchors you in your truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment