Monday, February 20, 2023

Still flowering

I recently received some anonymous feedback wishing for me to "create better boundaries" in my scope to focus more on my "areas of passion". I found this both shocking and saddening and have been reflecting a lot on this perspective. Is the era of the full-spectrum family medicine physician ending? 

I find it disappointing that some folks feel we need to "specialize" in something within Family Medicine. The truth is, having great breadth to my practice as a "comprehensivist" is my passion and I am specializing - in primary care for all ages. To have a day that can involve a well child check, OB visit, joint injection, counseling a patient struggling with depression, and a heartfelt discussion on end-of-life wishes, all while teaching a couple medical students the tools of my trade - that's pure joy for me. Sure, it's exhausting as heck and I need time to replenish myself when I get home, but I'm getting a lot better at filling my cup back up so I can keep pouring for others. 


I'm a fairly open book about the human issues I deal with - from working full-time while parenting two young children, to navigating a neurodivergent household, to struggling with self-compassion and taking rest, to healing from childhood trauma, to embracing a queer identity that many folks don't understand or acknowledge. I own this authentic approach because I know I'm not the only person living an imperfect life and trying to find my way through. I trust that vulnerability builds connection. But it does also risk the fact that others will make judgments based on what they see. I accept it and have no regrets.


Maybe this person also saw me juggling a shocking list of commitments in medical education and scholarly work as an academic physician - this year alone, I'm president of the San Diego Academy of Family Physicians and busily coordinating our annual conference, completing the Sanford Compassionate Communication Academy Fellowship, serving as Well-Being Educator for the American Academy of Family Physicians and Wellness Director for UCSD's Department of Family Medicine, disseminating important findings from wellness work through scholarly channels, mentoring students and residents in their own research endeavors, developing a new FM clerkship and compassion curriculum for the School of Medicine, envisioning care workflows to better meet the needs of gender-diverse patients, and not to mention all the teaching at the med school and with our residency program. 


Believe me, my resident/student evaluations often come in late and sometimes chart notes stack up (especially if I have to stay home with a sick kid), and I always manage to submit work *right* under the deadline. But the important stuff - like being fully present with my patients in the exam room, helping my learners continue to grow in their clinical identities through teaching and actionable feedback, supporting my colleagues who are going through tough times, and spending quality time with my family -- the human stuff, I think I'm doing OK.




I have been transfixed by my son's pumpkin plant that's been growing in our home. It's easy to get distracted by some of the wilting leaves and not notice the ever-lengthening vine that is starting to flower. But that's life, isn't it? Sometimes things have to wilt a little in the juggling game of life, but if we stay true to what matters, we can still find ourselves flowering. It's a delicate balance and I'm constantly fighting a momentum towards overwork and overcommitment, but I can say with certainty that this busy woman is focusing on her passions. And there's much more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment