Wednesday, December 7, 2011

being truly present for patients

I think the practice of mindfulness is a useful tool that I have striven to apply to many aspects of my personal relationships and spiritual life. Mindfulness teaches an approach to life that emphasizes the here-and-now, the joy of life's path itself rather than simply a final destination, and an emphasis on experiencing the present over the past and future.

It's a truly wonderful perspective to adopt to have greater insight on one's life experience. As I've discovered its benefits more and more, I realize that it has a great capacity to positively impact the physician-patient therapeutic relationship and potentially improve health outcomes.

I had a family physician mentor who told me that before he entered any patient room, he would say his own personal mantra in his head. This extra second was an important investment in the patient encounter that was to follow. It allowed him the chance to release any worries over challenging patients from the day, to let go of any personal baggage that may be bogging him down emotionally, to not obsess over any stressful upcoming responsibilities on his plate, and to be fully present for whatever came his way in that exam room. In this way, this tiny mental check-in gave him a chance to be completely engaged with his patients.

And patients can truly notice the difference-- they feel listened to, they are comforted by genuine empathy, they trust their physician, and they become important partners in their health care. As such, patients feel empowered in this therapeutic relationship to have input on their care plans, and are more likely to agree with and adhere to therapy. This adherence (an attempt at a less paternalistic version of the old term, "patient compliance") could be expected to translate into better health outcomes because patients feel heard, respected, and supported, and are more likely to be on board with the plan of care. Better adherence to recommended treatment regimens equals better outcomes. We feel closer to our patients, more energized by mindful, genuine relationships, and patients tend to feel better, too. Everyone wins!

I am practicing now, and hope that as a physician I can continue to mentally recite my own personal mantra and be totally present for my patients regardless of whatever stress or distraction might be begging my attention. It is a personal gift to remind me why I chose to pursue this profession and a gift to my patients to feel valued and truly cared for.

No comments:

Post a Comment