Saturday, May 5, 2012

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer

Today I participated in the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in Grand Rapids.  It was a really powerful experience and I'd like to share with you why I walk.

I'd like you to meet an amazing woman, Nancy Nell, my mother.  

Mom and I in 2006

Mom was a totally selfless person who was completely dedicated to her children.  She was one of those people who was always putting everyone else's needs before her own.  It's hard to tell her story sometimes so I am going to copy an excerpt from a tribute poem I wrote for her:

You were so dedicated to us
that your own needs were left unmet.
Nancy Nell is strong, but a body can only take
so much.
We begged you to have a mammogram,
and when you finally did, the cancer
had already spread.
Still, you fought the villain with the tenacity 
of a battle-scarred war general,
not fazed by the bleak outlook
but rather hopeful, confident, defiant.
"I have so much to live for", you'd say,
and that was the only impetus you needed
to keep fighting, despite everything
working against you.

Still, I struggle to keep your 
two-year battle to the end
from coloring all my memories of you.
I want to remember the good times and 
how you were when you were healthy.
Despite hardship, mistakes, and soul-
wrenching times, we became stronger together.
We did our best and
made life happen and good things came
unto us, sweet and karma-like, into our
hard-knocked, God-given blessed life.

It has been almost 5 years since I lost my mom to breast cancer, and while I cannot change the fact that she is no longer with us, I am always striving to help create better outcomes for others. 

I walk in memory of my Mom and countless other women who lost their lives too soon in their fight against breast cancer.  I walk to honor the survivors, whether they are currently battling cancer or are celebrating years of remission.  I walk for all women because we are all at risk and we all need to be aware.  I walk because I want women to remember to have an awareness of their bodies, to advocate for their health, to undergo preventive screening, and to fight for their lives.

Today I met an awesome woman who knits really unique pink scarves and donates half of her proceeds to support breast cancer programming.  She told me of another woman she met today who is dying of breast cancer but who had the strength and dedication to participate in the walk today, and she was moved to give away one of her scarves to her.  It was just so wonderful to feel this sense of community, this bond between those touched by breast cancer, supporting one another on their journeys.

Participating in events like Making Strides is truly personally healing for me.  It was so empowering today to pin ribbons on survivors, cheer them on for making it so far, remind them how strong they are, and wish them luck on their road to recovery.  Their stories are so inspiring, and it gives me great hope.

Thanks to the incredible generosity and support of so many wonderful people, I was able to raise $700 in donations, and our MSU-CHM team raised almost $2,000 total to go towards breast cancer screening, support services, and research.  One donation at a time, Strides participants are helping to create a world with more birthdays.

Hope starts with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment